For students and scholars that wish to invite their family members and friends, you will need to ascertain who is coming, and what the appropriate visa type is.

Dependents under immigration law are limited to spouses and minor children (minor children are defined as under the age of 21). If you would like to invite a dependent, you will be asked to furnish proof of additional financing. If your dependent’s length of visit is anticipated to be less than 6 months, a derivative F-2 or J-2 may not be necessary; instead, it is possible your dependents can obtain a B-2 tourist visa to visit you.

For all other guests, they will need to obtain a B-2 (or B-1/B-2 combination visa) to enter the United States. Nationals of certain countries may be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), a derivative category to the tourist, which allows a temporary entry of 90 days without the need for a B-1/B-2 visa.

Information on the above categories and what you need to do can be found by selecting the options below.