Incoming Scholar General Information

Professors and Research Scholars

The Center for Immigration Services & Support (ISS) welcomes you to Wake Forest University as either a professor, research scholar, or short-term scholar in the J-1 visa category.

The following is designed to provide you with important information regarding the J-1 visa, your arrival to the U.S., housing, and other details as you make preparations to come to Winston-Salem. We look forward to meeting you and hope that you have a pleasant and smooth journey to North Carolina.

J-1 Exchange Visitors in the Research Scholar, Professor, and Short-Term Scholar categories are permitted to receive payments for occasional lectures/conferences and reimbursement for travel/incidental expenses. They may also engage in short-term research consultations with an off-campus host. The term occasional is defined as a single event and not to an on-going activity.

The J-1 Visa Program at Wake Forest University

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is managed by the U.S. Department of State (DOS). According to DOS, the purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor program is “to increase mutual understanding between Americans and people of other countries” by engaging professionals in activities that promoted the mutual exchange of ideas. Wake Forest University is authorized to host J-1 Exchange Visitors for both the Reynolda and Health Sciences campus. In order to become a J-1 Exchange Visitor at Wake Forest University the participant must receive an invitation from an academic department and receive authorization from ISS through the issuance of the Form DS-2019.

Please note that persons who wish to engage in permanent employment activities may not use the J-1 Exchange Visitor status and should contact ISS ( to discuss other visa status options.

Participants in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program are obligated to follow the rules and regulations of DOS as well as Wake Forest University to maintain their visa status.

Completing Check-In

Health Insurance Requirement