H-1B Specialty Occupation Category

The H-1B visa category was established to accommodate nonimmigrant employees who come to the U.S. to work on a temporary basis. Over the past few years, the number of H-1B workers sponsored by Wake Forest University and the Baptist Medical Center has increased dramatically. As a direct result of this rapid increase, many departments, laboratories, etc. have experienced numerous misunderstandings of and problems with the confusing array of rules and regulations that govern the category. In order to reduce many of the misunderstandings, the Center for Immigration Services & Support (ISS) on the Reynolda campus has produced a brief overview of the primary rules and regulations associated with the category. This document is by no means an exhaustive representation of all of the H-1B rules and regulations, but hopefully it will provide you with a rudimentary understanding of the guidelines of the category.

Contact Information

Wake Forest Medical Center (Baptist Medical Center, WFIRM, Bowman Gray Medical School): Ms. Pamela Melton (OfficeofIntlServices@wakehealth.edu)

Wake Forest University Reynolda Campus: Center for Immigration Services & Support (iss@wfu.edu).

What is H-1B?

The H-1B category was established to accommodate skilled, nonimmigrant workers who come to the U.S. to work in a specialty occupation on a temporary basis. The H-1B category is not classified as an immigrant visa category, although many nonimmigrants use the status as a stepping-stone to permanent residency.

H-1B applications submitted by Wake Forest University are adjudicated by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Petitions are filed on the behalf of a beneficiary by Wake Forest University. USCIS rules state that an individual is not allowed to self-petition for H-1B status.

Maximum Amount of Time in Category

Current USCIS rules state that an individual may spend a total cumulative period of six years in the H-1B category. An individual may, however, be eligible to obtain another six-year period if he/she spends a total of one year outside of the U.S. while not in H-1B status.

There are special provisions within the rules and regulations for some individuals who have reached the six-year limit but who have an application for permanent residence pending with USCIS.

Application Procedure

The Center for Immigration Services & Support (ISS) on the Reynolda Campus or Baptist Medical Center (BMC) Human Resources is notified of a department’s/laboratory’s intent to employ a nonimmigrant using the H-1B category.

The immediate supervisor of the prospective employee is sent a letter that outlines what is required from the department by USCIS in terms of relevant paper work/evidence.

The prospective H-1B employee is asked to complete an information form and to provide copies of current immigration documents if he/she is residing within the U.S. in a different nonimmigrant category.

Once all paperwork has been submitted, a “prevailing wage determination” from the Foreign Labor Certification Data Center is requested. This step is to safeguard against employers taking advantage of nonimmigrant workers by paying them a salary that is not commensurate with what an American/permanent resident would be expected to receive for pursuing similar employment. Wake Forest is required to pay the prevailing wage rate. Obtaining a prevailing wage determination usually takes between 7-10 business days.

Once a prevailing wage has been established, a Labor Certification Application is made to the U.S. Department of Labor. After all requisite documents have been submitted to ISS, the application is mailed to USCIS for adjudication.

Nonimmigrants Residing Outside the U.S.

If a nonimmigrant is residing outside of the U.S., he/she will be required to visit their nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate in order to obtain their H-1B visa classification. This classification will not be granted, however, until the application has been approved by USCIS. An intended H-1B nonimmigrant abroad who is waiting for an approval notice from USCIS may not make an entry to the U.S. in another category and then change status once the H-1B is approved.

Nonimmigrants residing within the U.S.

Approval notices for nonimmigrants currently residing in the U.S. will be mailed to the Wake Forest ISS or BMC Human Resources.

Nonimmigrants subject to the J-1 two-year home residency requirement (212(e))

Those nonimmigrants who are subject to the J-1 two-year home residency requirement are not eligible to receive the H-1B classification until they have either fulfilled the requirement or received a waiver or “no objection” letter from thee U.S. Department of State. There is a separate application procedure for the waiver.

Processing Times

It is currently taking USCIS more than 10-12 months to process those H-1B petitions and renewal requests that are filed without the Premium Processing Service. Employers should take this into consideration when making a decision about a nonimmigrant employee who will be required to commence employment on a certain date. Under no circumstances can Wake Forest employ a nonimmigrant who does not have the proper work authorization from USCIS.

For an additional fee of $2,500.00, USCIS offers a special Premium Processing Service. With payment of this fee, USCIS guarantees that all applications filed using this service will be adjudicated within a 15-day period.

Length of Initial Status

Wake Forest may apply for a period of initial H-1B status for the nonimmigrant employee that spans from one to three years. The length of initial status is determined by the department or the employee’s immediate supervisor.

Extension of Status

A nonimmigrant employee currently in H-1B status can have his/her status extended as long as the extension does not surpass the six-year cumulative limit.

Adjudication by USCIS is required for all extension requests. Like the initial petition, adjudication usually takes between 10-12 months.

A request for extension involves submitting another petition to USCIS.

An extension of status may be granted for a period of between 1-3 years.

Travel While in H-1B Status

ISS should be consulted regarding any international travel. A nonimmigrant currently residing in the U.S. in H-1B status may leave and make a reentry to the U.S. as long as he/she has the following documents when they reach their initial point of entry:

  1. A passport that is valid for at least six months or longer
  2. A valid/unexpired H-1B visa stamp in the passport
  3. Original approval notice (I-797) issued by USCIS for employment at Wake Forest University
  4. Although not required per the rules and regulations, it is also a prudent measure for the nonimmigrant to have a letter from his/her immediate supervisor that verifies current employment status with Wake Forest.
  • Travel to Canada or Mexico for 30 days or less
    A nonimmigrant may travel to Canada or Mexico for 30 days or less and make a reentry to the U.S. with an expired H-1B visa stamp in his/her passport. This visa waiver rule also applies to some of the Caribbean islands. This rule, however, does not exclude a nonimmigrant from having a valid H-1B approval notice when he/she reenters the U.S.
  • Travel while extension of stay is pending
    A nonimmigrant may travel abroad while an extension of stay is pending with USCIS provided that he/she returns to the U.S. prior to the expiration date listed on their current H-1B approval notice.
  • Travel while a change of status to H-1B is pending with USCIS
    A nonimmigrant who leaves the U.S. while a change of status request is pending with USCIS is considered to have abandoned his/her petition and will most likely be denied entry to the U.S. at their initial point of entry. A nonimmigrant who leaves the country and reenters in another nonimmigrant category while a change to H-1B is pending with USCIS will not be allowed to adjust status to H-1B in the U.S. even if/when the petition is approved by USCIS.
  • Travel while a change of employers petition is pending with the BCIS (portability provision)
    USCIS has stated that a nonimmigrant who has filed for a change of employers may leave and reenter the U.S. in their current H-1B status as long as they are in possession of the following documents when they arrive at their initial port of entry:
    • Passport that is valid for six months or longer
    • Valid visa stamp affixed in the passport (visa stamp can be noted with former employer’s name)
    • Copy of previously issued Form I-94 (arrival/departure record)
    • I-797 receipt notice from USCIS (This document proves to the inspecting officer that an application for a change of employer was filed in a timely manner with USCIS.)
    • Form I-797 approval notice/notice of action for previous employer (This document may be used by those visa-exempt nonimmigrants (i.e. Canadians) who were not issued Form I-94 when they entered the country.)

Loss of Employment

A nonimmigrant whose employment relationship is terminated is considered to be out of nonimmigrant status the moment that the relationship between employer and employee ceases to exist. USCIS has stated that there is no “grace period” for H-1B employees who lose their jobs. This being the case, the nonimmigrant must immediately depart from the U.S. because he/she is no longer effectively maintaining their nonimmigrant status.

This law does not take into consideration the real-world ramifications of those people who have resided in the U.S. for a substantial period of time and must deal with the many facets of moving personal property, family members, etc. back to their countries of permanent residence.

For this reason, if circumstances permit, department heads and supervisors should provide the nonimmigrant with ample warning as it pertains to the possible loss of employment. This will afford the nonimmigrant time to prepare for departure or look for a new employer in the case that they wish to remain in the U.S. in H-1B status

An employer who does not terminate an H-1B employee’s status and continues to keep him/her on the payroll without actually paying any salary (i.e. benching) can be held responsible for the payment of all back wages if they are found to be in violation of the Department of Labor’s non-payment of wages regulation.

Change of Employers

A nonimmigrant who is maintaining valid H-1B status is eligible to change employers.

A change of employer can only occur when the new employer files an H-1B petition for the change with USCIS on behalf of the nonimmigrant beneficiary.

Once USCIS has confirmed that they have received the new H-1B petition for a change of employer, a nonimmigrant who currently holds valid H-1B status may begin work for the new employer prior to adjudication. This is allowable under the “portability” provision.

Employees and employers should be aware of the fact that prior to granting an approval for the new employment, USCIS often requests a history of wage payment and other time-sensitive evidence for the purpose of determining whether or not the intended beneficiary was maintaining valid H-1B status prior to the submission of the change of employer request.

Dependents in H-4 Status

The spouse and unmarried minor children of an H-1B principle employee are classified as H-4 dependents. Children aged 21 or older are not eligible for the H-4 dependent classification.

Dependents are appended to the H-1B petition through the submission of Form I-539 to USCIS.

H-4 dependents are not allowed to pursue any type of employment in the U.S.

Under current rules, H-4 dependents are allowed to pursue a full or part-time course of study.

H-1B Fee Schedule (as of 01/2024)

  1. USCIS Form I-129 (H-1B application fee): $460.00
  2. USCIS Anti-fraud Fee: $500
  3. USCIS Form I-907 (Request for Premium Processing): $2,805
  4. Legal Fee: $2,500

Annual Limit (H-1B Cap)

Since Wake Forest is a non-profit institution of higher learning, all H-1B petitions filed by the university are not counted as a part of the H-1B annual limit, or “cap.” The H-1B cap limits the number of visas that are available to nonimmigrants each year. Counting against the cap begins on October 1st, and continues until the beginning of a new fiscal year for the U.S. government or until the cap is reached, whichever comes first. The annual cap for fiscal year 2024 is 65,000 with an additional 20,000 reserved for those with masters degrees or higher.